Login Register

It's unlucky 13 for battling Johnstown

By Carmarthen Journal  |  Posted: February 27, 2013

Comments (0)

IT'S been tough going in the Premier division this season for bottom club Johnstown, who are still without a league win after 13 attempts.

Although the misery continued against visiting Loughor Rovers, they gave a battling performance in a 2-0 defeat.

The Johnstown defence stood firm for 43 minutes before Ashley Lewis finally broke the deadlock when the ball rebounded to him off the keeper.

Centre-half Louis Jackson netted a second in the 83rd minute.

Inspired by the brilliance of Chris Bowen, Ponthenri defied the odds to beat visiting Dafen 2-1.

Playing against one of the strongest teams in the division, Bowen gave Ponthenri a deserved lead with a header in the 20th minute. He then rounded the keeper in the 40th minute to make the half-time score 2-0.

Although the visitors pulled back a goal in the second half, Ponthenri were in no mood to let the advantage slip and held on to their lead with a degree of comfort. Solid as a rock for Ponthenri was keeper Anthony Johns.

In the big game in division one, Brett Enoch struck twice for Tumble United in a 3-2 win at home to Burry Port. Also on target was Tyrone Williams as the home team came from behind to secure three important points.

There was a disappointing defeat in division two for Abergwili, who lost 6-3 at home to Garden Village.

The deadly Greg Fisher helped kill off the home team with his second consecutive hat-trick, with others to hit the target being Joe Parker, Iwan Lindsay and Anthony Logan.

It was 2-0 in favour of the visitors at the break.

There were maximum points for Kidwelly Town, who finished the stronger in defeating visiting Whitland 3-2.

After a slow start, Kidwelly picked up the pace and struck through John Lloyd, Liam Martin, and Dwayne Cassell.

But enjoying a nine-point advantage at the top are Carmarthen Town Reserves, who kept their unbeaten record intact with a 3-1 win in the away clash against Penyfan United.

After edging ahead through Dan Ramsey, who headed past the keeper from a free-kick by Jason Davies on 20 minutes, Town lost the lead by half-time and went in to the dressing room at 1-1.

But a couple of minutes into the second half Town were handed a golden opportunity to regain the advantage when the referee pointed to the spot for hand ball.

Richard Whalley made no mistake with his penalty attempt.

Looking much the better team in the second half, it came as no surprise when Ramsey netted his second from a cross by Whalley in the 75th minute.

In division three, Bancffosfelen made it five wins on the bounce when defeating Port Tywyn 6-3 at home.

Kristian Forrset capped an outstanding display with a hat-trick for Bancffosfelen, while also on target were Frankie Vaughan with a header, Jamie Jones and Aled Owen.

Helped by two cracking goals from Dean Thomas, Pembrey beat KRUF 3-1 on their own ground. All the goals were scored in the second half, with Owain Jones also finding the net for Pembrey.

In a thrilling game in reserve division three, Jonathan Williams struck twice for Pembrey in a 4-4 draw at home to Wellfield.

Williams rescued a point when he scored his second goal in the 90th minute, while Darren Gower and Damian Davies also netted.

Read more from Carmarthen Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters