Login Register

Hospital fight 'hit' by ward closure concern

By Carmarthen Journal  |  Posted: October 10, 2012

Comments (0)

CAMPAIGNERS hoping to save a Gwendraeth Valley hospital earmarked for closure have been left worried at news that just one ward remains open at the site.

Mynydd Mawr Hospital in Upper Tumble is among a number of community hospitals whose future is being considered under plans by the Hywel Dda Health Board.

This week campaigners supporting the hospital told the Journal that patients had been moved into one ward, from the two wards at the hospital.

But a spokeswoman for the health board said the closure of the men's ward was due to staff shortages — and was not connected to the consultation and proposals for the hospital's future.

Clive Scourfield, chairman of the Friends and staunch supporter, said he had the news confirmed when he visited the hospital as the Journal went to press.

"Because one sister was in charge of the two wards, they moved everyone into one," he said.

Full story — page 10.

Read more from Carmarthen Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES